Thursday, December 27, 2012

Hello Burnout. I've been expecting you.

Yes, you read right.  Burnout.  It happens every training cycle - you get to a point where the last thing you are interested in doing is running.  You are TIRED.  Period.  Tired of running, but just all around tired too.  That is where I am finding myself now.  Since this season started a little earlier this year with the addition of Big Butts 50k, I have found myself in constant training and racing mode since May.  Since then I have done 2 half marathons, one full marathon, 1 - 50k, and 2 - 50 milers. I now find myself looking at different surfaces wondering if I could curl up there and take a nap.  Tired.

I fully recognized my old friend Burnout today when I was preparing for my run - or, should I say while I was doing everything I could think of to avoid starting my run.  I decided I was hungry so I ate a couple of pieces of toast, I fiddled with my gear much longer than necessary, and played around on the enemy of productivity - Facebook.  Once I finally got my butt out the door, I dropped my GPS watch and the screen went crazy for a bit then had to search for signal again.  I was more than happy to stand in the middle of the street waiting on it.  Normally I would have just taken off and let it catch up with me.

Luckily, this isn't my first rodeo, so I knew this was coming, just like the overuse aches and pains that are starting to set in.  Nothing crippling, just little twinges reminding me that I am at the peak of my training schedule, in case I hadn't already noticed that.  I also know that the antidotes to running Burnout are: 1. change of venue and 2. running buddies.  As luck would have it, one of my original long run buddies, Stephanie Day, the Team in Training run coach, had a group run planned for this evening, so I hopped on board.  It was just what the doctor ordered.  I didn't wear a watch and didn't worry about our pace.  We just ran and talked.  The 3.5 miles flew by.  This was by far the most effortless run  I have done in a long time, and it was purely because of the stellar company.

Now for the change of venue.  I was telling a friend today that I feel like there should be ruts along my regular route from me running the exact same roads over and over.  As much as I love running in Broussard, with every run being 10+ miles now, I have seen enough of its roads for a while.  So, this weekend I am joining a group of idiots who are running a 22 mile route from Sunset though Carencro and Grand Coteau.  I have driven part of this route and it is beautiful - rolling hills and horse farms.  It is just what the doctor ordered.  With that run, I will have 60 miles for the week.  The best part?  Next week is a down week, and I only have to run 46 or so miles.  Yes, that was typed with sarcasm.  They really need to invent a sarcasm font.

This is the time in training when I really start to take care of myself.  I am back taking the multi-vitamin that I usually forget about, and I am adding either Airborne or Emergen-C to my recovery shakes.  And, if I see you in public and you are sneezing or coughing, please don't be offended if I just wave and smile from across the room.  This seems to be the time in  my training when every person with a runny nose wants to seek me out for a hug.  Not happening folks. :)

It is 9:30 p.m. and I am going to bed.  I think my brain already beat me there, so I take no responsibility for anything said after this point. :)

Happy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment