Saturday, March 6, 2021

Warming up a cold engine

 A body at rest tends to stay at rest unless acted upon by an outside force.  A 50 year old body that was mostly stagnate for a couple of months prior to starting a new training plan will resist any effort towards motion.  I can't say this surprises me, but man I wish it wasn't so.  

I knew that the first few weeks of training would be like starting an old car engine on a cold morning.  I was right, but as much as my muscles are protesting, I have to say that it feels really good knowing that if I stay faithful to the training before me, all of the protesting parts will fall into line and become stronger.

One week and 6 workouts in.  Thanks to the strength workouts for reminding me of muscles that I had forgotten about, and to the running to remind me that even with heavy, sore legs, I can call on past experience to push through.

20 miles and change down this week.  Ready for warmer temps - yep, I am a hot weather runner.  I like the heat - remind me of this when mid June rolls around, please.  

In the meantime, I am excited to start using my new COROS watch next week - great price and impressive battery life that should get me through my 100, as well as testing out a new liquid nutrition - Skratch. I have been using EFuel and EGels for a while with great results, but the EFuel gets too sweet after a while and I tend to stop drinking when I still need hydration.  I'll post updates on the gear as well. 

Have a great week and happy running! 

Edie

1 comment: