Thursday, February 9, 2023

Some days are harder than others

 

If the alarm had been going off at 9:30, I wouldn't have been so unhappy about it.


I REALLY didn't want to run this morning. As soon as my alarm went off, I started the mental negotiations.  Here's how it went:

"It's going to be sunny this afternoon, I can run then" (Knowing that this is rarely successful, as I am usually pretty toasted when I get home from work.)

"Maybe I can skip today. It's been a rough training week and my muscles need to rest." (This is true - I am 60 flights of stairs into a 70 flights of stairs week, with 20 miles running left to do before the end of the weekend as well.)

'If I sleep for 20 more minutes, I should still be able to get my run in and make my first meeting" (Which was also true, but it would have made my morning very stressful, and I don't like starting my day feeling rushed.)

In the end, while all of this was happening in my head, I was getting dressed and ready to run.  5 miles later, I am so happy that I overruled my brain this morning and got it done.  Now I just have 10 flights of stairs to do once I reach the office and I'm good for the day.

One skill running has taught me is that I can observe my inner dialogue but I don't have to obey it.  Even during races when the negative thoughts pop up, I can detach from them and continue moving.  Helps in life in general as well. 

Happy Running!

Edie

No comments:

Post a Comment