Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Strength Training - Prep for a 200

 


My mail lady hates me.  In the last few months, she has had to deliver increasingly heavy boxes, from hand weights to a weighted vest. Actually, the 20# hand weights were marked as "unable to deliver" and I had to pick them up at the post office.  

The main difference that I am incorporating into training for my 200 versus previous 100 milers is the addition of weight training.  I am really enjoying it so far (3+ months into the training cycle).  At my age (53), I understand more now than ever that in order to have longevity in sport, or quality of life in general as I age, weight training is necessary.  

I have my standard weight routine that I have done for years now, but I have decided to switch it up to guarantee I am getting full body workouts, and use Sally McRae's strength app.  So far so good! You can choose the length of your workout - I lose interest after 30 minutes - or you can start a structured program that she has set up.  You don't need to head to the gym to do it either - all can be done at home, with bands and free weights.  I am not a gym person.  I know, if I need to drive to workout, I will likely not workout. It needs to be convenient, and preferably done before my brain completely wakes up for the day.

Check it out if you are interested.  $99 for the year, and you can customize your own plan, led by Sally who I consider to be an expert in strength and conditioning in general, and especially for ultrarunning. Link below.  

As always, happy running! 
Edie


No comments:

Post a Comment