Thursday, May 23, 2024

A New Way of Training

 When I took on the challenge of training for the Cowboy 200, I knew I would have to add lots of strength work, but I wasn't sure how to fit it all into my life and not be exhausted all of the time.  My current training mileage has double digit runs on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday along with speedwork on Monday and a weighted vest walk on Tuesday. Thursday and Sunday are rest days currently. Trying to add weights to this schedule was a bit of a puzzle.  

For the first time in a long time, I have begun splitting my long runs (anything over an hour on weekdays and 2 hours on weekends) into a morning and evening run.  This allows me to keep my weight workout on M,W and F at 30 minutes and still be able to function throughout the day. So far, it is working really well!  This is also helping to speed up my heat acclamation as I am getting the high humidity in the morning and the heat in the evening. It is also making me be extra mindful of my hydration and nutrition during the day as I am focused on fueling my second run.

Me,  after early morning runs.

I remember this from years ago, and it is holding true today as well - the second run of the day is often faster than the first.  It also helps that I usually spend 10 - 15 minutes doing static and dynamic stretching before the second run of the day to workout the day's kinks which helps make the second run more enjoyable as well.  I am terrible about this in the morning - I just want to get the run done and move on with my day. 

For overall fitness for the type of event that I am training for, I feel strongly that this is the way to get the miles in and stay (somewhat) healthy.  Well, it works for Camille at least....

https://www.trailrunnermag.com/training/camille-herron-says-skip-the-long-run/

Happy Running!  

Edie

No comments:

Post a Comment