Sunday, January 8, 2023

The value of having a coach - part 1

 I've done many races without a coach's guidance, and done well in them.  Now, though, I find I need the set schedule and I need the guidance to keep me from just piling on miles.  When I first starting running, I was the typical runner - I ran all of my runs at about 75% - 80% of my capacity.  Left to my own devices, I would still probably do that. It is completely normal for most runners to do this, but it is not the way to improve.


The blessing of having a coach is that he or she sets your weekly workouts, and you don't have to think about what you are doing. I just look at my schedule the night before to figure out what time I need to get up to get my run / stretching in and still get to work on time. 

Where right now, I would usually be increasing mileage, my coach has me doing 30 min, 45 min, and 1 hour runs, each of them with strides (speed intervals) with full recovery in between. The 1 hour run is a hill workout, but none of my runs have me doing the whole thing at 80% capacity.

I see this week he is starting to lengthen my speed intervals, which I am actually looking forward to.  Although I am nowhere I need to be eventually, I am seeing progress, feeling stronger, and actually enjoying my runs.  And I am injury free, knock on wood.

But, to be completely honest, I am ready to be at the point where I get to spend a half of a day running alone or with friends, discovering new areas, and catching up on all of my favorite books or podcasts. 

There will be plenty of time for that. 

Happy Running Y'all! 

Edie 

No comments:

Post a Comment